Lower Molar With Severely Curved Mesial Root Canal System
Instrumenting a curved root canal system often becomes challenging. Here are few tips to help with predictable and effective instrumentation of a curved root canal:
- Straight line access to root canals
- Hand instrumentation at least up to size 20
- Copious irrigation after each instrument introduced into root canal
- Use of RC-Prep on hand files and rotary files
- Recapitulation throughout instrumentation
Figure 1 shows preoperative radiograph for tooth #30 with severely curved mesial root canal system. Treatment was uneventful and figure 2 shows the same tooth after completion of root canal treatment. I negotiate mesial canals using size 8 reamers and gradually enlarge them to a size 20 before using my rotary instruments to complete shaping the canals.